Monday, July 22, 2019

A Letter To My Meat Eating Friends

To my closest friends who eat meat,

I know you aren't a bad person. I know you would never hurt an animal intentionally, but it upsets me when you say how much you love animals (dogs) and then continue to eat them.

I know we all grow up coming from different backgrounds and traditions, but it's 2019, and the verdict is in: eating animal products is not good for the environment, or the animals.

What makes it especially hard is when I see you cuddling and taking care of your pets, and not realizing that the animals you consume are just like them, just look a little different. Just because we aren't taught that cows and pigs aren't affectionate doesn't mean they aren't.

I want you to think about this:

How would you feel if your beloved pup was taken from you, and put into a tiny crate?  If they were forced to constantly have babies, and live in their own feces. After doing this for years and years, they are no longer useful and are eventually sent off to become someone's dinner.

I know you wouldn't support that. I know that because every year the same people who consume pigs and cows protest the Yulin dog festival that happens in China. I see you saying how awful and wrong it is that they are consuming dogs and cats, but in our country, we kill 56 billion animals a year for food.

How is it any different?

It breaks my heart because I know we are all real animal lovers at heart, some of us are just disconnected. I wish you could see that the animals on your plate have feelings, and just want to be loved and live a life of freedom.

If they were born a dog, their life would be completely different. They are killed simply because of the species they were born into, something they have no control over.

I don't want to be a pushy vegan, I just want you to know where your food comes from, and it is not a happy place.

Although we are conditioned to eat meat, there is always room for improvement and change. Just because something is a tradition doesn't mean it is right.

I just ask you to think about your own pets. Think about how awful and sad you would be if they were in the same position.

Sincerely,
Your friend who just wants to help animals

No comments:

Post a Comment